Measuring Time

It's time for Senior pictures.  I can still see the nurse dabbing some kind of goo on my firstborn's forehead to make a little bow stick in her baby picture.  She was the most beautiful baby in the whole world.  Now she's an adult--still working it out, but she is beginning to make her own choices. I am so proud of her.  Thankfully, there are five more needing my help and delighting me just as much as Mea has, but the arrow of time only goes one way.  The ride will soon be over.
If family was the only perspective for measuring life, it would be a sad business living it.  There are so many ways to be disappointed, and even when it all goes brilliantly, it ends.  Sure the kids take care of the dying, but for the dying it ends.  Fortunately, we are pursued by a greater lover for whom the arrow of time is meaningless, after all he invented time.  I often get lost in my pursuit of him, certain I'm doing it all wrong (because I am), and I forget that this is a relationship and he is pursuing me.  Then all of the sudden, there he is, up close and personal.  Sometimes he lives a gift, a new insight or image, and sometimes he is simply there holding up his half of the conversation.  I am so thankful for those moments.  They keep me breathing when other joys are gone.  They keep me coming back to the path when I've lost my way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment