My Story.

     I  have really great friends of all colors, sizes, and religious views. The recent scandals that involve police brutality vs. hoodlam behavior have brought out the issue of race and disagreement in SHARP relief. I care. One of my African American friends, René, and I were discussing a thread were a mutual friend, we will refer to as "Carol," had posted a blog about raising her bi-racial children. The article said how disheartening it was for a white, bio-father to tell his black son how hard life will be for him. NOW, we will all have unique challenges to face in this world. I am not telling my kids how easy their lives will be because they are white. This would be a lie. Hurts, hatred, and trials are faced by all races. However, the trials and tribulations of one group are not exactly the same as the trials and tribulations of another group.
     As if to prove her very point, "Carol's" "friends" came on her thread and exhibited the most hateful, racist, prejudiced and hurtful comments that ranged from, "Racism is not really still a problem," to this ironic "So you have black kids. Stop writing these stupid articles and blogs. We get it." Obviously you do not, sir. God calls us to unity and in this area, unity, where gained, has been HARD WON and oft times through Jesus. Where there is still not unity, is a HUGE blight on our "civilized" society. But my friend René said something that was so true that I have to share it now, "We as people don't give our fellow men enough space to share where they fit in this human experience.
     See, this woman was not coming under fire for being a bi-racial family, she was coming under fire for trying to share her perceptions and her reality of it. So often our view point can vary so greatly. I have learned the most from people who do not agree with me. I have learned that people with diametrically opposing world views to mine can have the same goals I do. I have learned not to judge by race, size, or religious view. I allow my friends to tell their stories and I try very hard to listen well. I make mistakes. I get it wrong, but by God's grace, I have learned to let people talk it out. 
     If there is to be unity, relief from pain, fixing of this world at all, we must first allow those with stories to share to tell them with out criticism and argument. The first step is speaking. The next step is hearing. The Bible says itself that the hearing is the start of learning. What is your story today? Share and keep sharing until you are fully heard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment