You Never Know

We have a large crèche, that is our pride and joy in decorating each year. In the past we put the set up on a large set of bookcases, but our new home didn't have that kind of space. It does have room for half on top of the coat closet in the foyer, and the rest fit on a table in the same space. This is the first year we can see Baby Jesus, so I put him aside to wait for Christmas Day. The empty manger is a powerful reminder of the melancholy time of waiting in the Old Testament. Every time I walk by it, I give thanks for the knowledge that he is with us.
Last year, Jimmy's teacher made Baby Jesus dolls out of socks for each of her students. Jimmy loved on that doll all Christmas long, and it was so sweet to see this nurturing side of my little boy. Even after the holidays were over, Baby Jesus remains important. He is snuggled into blankets, taken on adventures, and helping Jimmy understand why we need to sit still during church. This engagement is a happy sign of my son's growing faith.
A few days after putting out our crèche I was tickled to find the void in our manger filled with Sock Baby Jesus. I don't know if Jimmy's catechist imagined the impact one sock, two rubber bands, stuffing, and a Sharpie marker face would have on him, but her passion for sharing Jesus has changed my little boy. You never know what will have the most impact. A holy zygote has transformed the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment