Do You Like You?


Image from facebook.com/HebraicDance

Do you like you?  Can you look at a picture of yourself without picking out something that you dislike about your image?  Have you ever looked at yourself in a mirror and given praise to God because you are "awesomely and wonderfully made"?

Psalm 100 verse 3 says "Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves..."  However, we live in a society in which more and more often, humanity is struggling to make (or remake) itself.  Plastic surgery to alter appearance and even gender.  Mind altering substances.  Material possessions.  Humanity is searching for identity.  Sadly, believers are not immune.  I see beautiful young people trying to make themselves over so that they will be better accepted by others and (they hope) by themselves as well.  

In Psalm 139, the psalmist speaks praise to God for making him.  Fearfully (awesomely) and wonderfully made (to be separated or distinct) We are all different from one another. Skillfully wrought (embroidered, woven).  How greatly He loves us!  We cannot begin to fathom how deeply His love for us is!

My husband shared this and much more recently with a group of believers, and when he asked if anyone had ever looked in the mirror and thanked God for making him/her, he was met with blank stares.  After sharing the rest of what the Lord had given him, he challenged each of us to go home and begin to do that very thing, and I would like to challenge you to do the same.  I have begun to do this, and it has made me more aware of how much I am loved and how every detail of my frame, of my personality, of every part of me was made by God and not by me, and that He called it "very good!"  See what it does for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment