Penny Pincher

Ever since I was a young child, I have been a saver not a spender. My dad has often told the story of when as a seven year old I attended a week of rodeo camp while we were living in Texas. When they dropped me off at camp, he deposited several dollars into my account at the camp's store for me to spend. At the end of the week the lady who worked at the store told my dad that I had come into the store every day to peruse my options, and then on the last day of camp I purchased one candy bar, which cost less than one dollar. I had spent hardly any of the money he had left for me, which amazed her. For as long as I can remember I have been one who has loved sales, coupons, and clearance racks. When I became a mom, I also developed a love of shopping at yard sales and consignment shops for clothing, shoes, and toys for my children.

One thing I have particularly had a hard time spending money on over the past six years is to pay a babysitter so my husband and I can go out on a date. During the first 4.5 years of motherhood I was working part-time. It didn't bother me to pay for a babysitter then, because the reason I needed a babysitter was so I could earn money and provide health insurance for our family. My husband and I met at a ballroom dancing class in 1997. During the years we dated, we went to ballroom dancing classes whenever possible. Over the past thirteen years of marriage, we have done almost no ballroom dancing. I recently learned of a ninety minute class being offered less than a mile from our house on Friday nights. It sounded like a wonderful thing for us to do, but I was immediately feeling guilty about spending $18 for the two of us to take the class plus whatever it would cost to pay a babysitter to watch our kids for two hours. A few days later while taking my kids to their horseback riding lessons, it hit me that I did not bat an eye at the thought of spending the money for my two kids to each have five 30 minute private $10 horse back riding lessons. Why is it easier for me to spend money on my children? Right then and there I told myself that we were going to take the ballroom dancing lessons because it's something that we both enjoy, and it's also great exercise. It's an investment in our marriage. The next time I feel guilty about spending money so my husband and I can go out on a date, I am going to remind myself of the things we pay for our children to do like take gymnastics classes. I don't want to have to wait until all our children are grown (our youngest is not yet 2 years old) to make memories with my husband. After my relationship with the Lord, my relationship with my husband should be my top priority in life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment