Imperfect parents

From the time I was twelve years old I spent a lot of time caring for children, as a babysitter, teacher, and principal. At the age of thirty-six I became a mother, and I quickly learned that parenthood exposes weaknesses in my character that didn't show up when teaching or babysitting. I am currently reading Sacred Parenting: How raising children shapes our souls by Gary Thomas. His premise is that the "process of parenting is one of the most spiritually formative journeys a man and a woman can ever undertake." This certainly rings true for me! Having children isn't about me but about bringing glory to God. In chapter three he says, "weakness on our part can actually become a strength when we use it to transfer our kids' allegiance from us to God." We love our children, but God alone loves with a perfect love. The guilt we feel at times can enable us to model our need for God to our kids. Micah 6:8 instructs us to "love mercy." The word used for "love" means "to feel enthralled by" mercy. I need to not only be thankful for the mercy I have received but also be eager to show mercy to others. Without sensing my own guilt, I would never sense the need for this glorious gift of God - mercy. The author contends that "using guilt as a call to adoration can turn parental guilt into a pathway toward intimacy with God." God cares just as much about my spiritual growth as He does about my children's spiritual growth. My kids can be valuable teachers to that end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment