Happy Birthday!

    Today is my sweet Sarah's birthday. My husband and my only living child together. With all that has happened in Sarah's life, the neurological issues, social and temper problems, I don't know if I could have handled another child. I literally have called my mom crying, telling her I was going crazy, when Sarah had horrible neurological problems.
    It's hard to believe she is 13 years old. Do I miss the earlier years? For a few fleeting moments, yes. Then I remember the struggles. Would I have done things differently if I had known then, what I know now? YES! However, our struggles propelled me to pray often, research, and talk to people who were able to help. It gave me compassion for an autistic girl that later gave me a hug, when no one else, including her mother, had ever received one from her. I genuinely have compassion for people with differences. There are those that have never had to deal with neurological issues. Some judge, and comment out of ignorance. I am glad I do not think as they do. Through these difficulties, God has given our family a heart of compassion and understanding for others. All be it, we would not have chosen this path if given the choice. 
    Adversity has given us a platform to stand on, in order to help others. However, I have learned to only help those that want it. I have learned the hard way, that if help is not wanted but forcefully given, it has the opposite effect. Those people do not benefit but become worse for my efforts.
    Sarah's 13 years on this planet have been anything but boring. Then again, she is an extraordinary child. How many people do you know that have had ADHD, autism and Asperger's Syndrome, or even one of those neurological problems, but are now fine, can function in social settings and have compassion for others, anyone? Well, after looking at the evidence, and speaking to anyone who knew Sarah then and now, one would conclude that what we did worked. I can't take credit though. God orchestrated the whole thing. Will Sarah ever have problems with neurological issues in her life again? I don't know, but we now know what causes it and how to fix it. If you don't believe me, that's fine. Sarah is well, and to this mama, that's all that matters.
    My baby is growing up. I'm told the teen years tend to be the most trying. Oh well, just another chapter in our book of learning how to deal with adversity in life. Perhaps by the time she's an adult I'll know something. I'm very thankful God has given us Sarah to raise and has covered us through it all. Happy Birthday Sarah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment