Me Too.


   Happy Father's Day!  Today when church was over, Dad and I ended up chatting with our pastor. The conversation started about the horrific flash flooding that our community has gone through in the past few days. One of the hardest hit places was the Baptist Church I grew up in.
  I told our pastor that I remember when I was a little girl my dad ran a Sunday School bus route for that church and I loved going with him. He always had a pocket full of smarties or tootsie rolls to give the kids.
  Dad recounted one particular Sunday with a little boy who was suffering from a toothache. Dad had reached out multiple times to this boy's father with no visible success. This Sunday, the boy was in quite some pain, so Dad held him on his lap while the bus driver maneuvered through the route delivering kids back to their homes.
  As they approached the turn off to the boy's house, he looked up at my dad and said "Mr. Kincaid, when I grow up, I want to be just like you". My dad told him that he should want to be like his own father when he grew up. "No, sir. I don't want to be like him. I want to be like you."
  Years later, Dad would learn that this boy's father did eventually give his heart to Jesus. The man who had been so harsh and set against anything having to do with church went back to some of the folks who had reached out to him and his family for years and thanked them.
 Listening to my dad tell the story today, I thought about the words that boy said.... "When I grow up, I want to be just like you".  Then I thought...... "Me too".

0 comments:

Post a Comment