Waaaaaaaaaa

     So. We all hate this winter. A few weeks ago I posted about how the snow and the cold were the perfect ending to the last of Christmas break. It really extended the time and united our family. It was nice when the flukey cold and snow abated and we returned to our normal routine. For like a minute.
     This winter has not once abated and this morning greeted us with icy roads, single digit degrees, and yet another closing. We've had it so easy in the past winters that we just forgot how to handle this mess. Snow storms of last year brought four inches and melted in a week. Not the case with this winter. Snow from this January is still lingering in the shady spots and is now joined in a fresh covering. My whininess ensued. 
     I HAAAAAATE this! Constant postings of real air temperatures resting at -16 degrees F. The layering of gloves, scarves, hats and mittens. Like Randy's mom from the Christmas Story, I hear myself say, "You can put your arms down when you get to school." My Ellanor started refusing to wear her coat. "I can't bear to put it on again mommy. I hate it." Sarah started a full on campaign to make it "OK" to wear sandles in double digits. Joey just put his hood down to keep the wind out.
     For the past two days we've had temperatures in the 60's and a life of comfort. My neighbor even cracked a window or two in her house. Could this nightmare finally be over? Nope 1/2 inch of ice and 2 inches of snow slick enough to close school. sigh. My heart grew faint.
    Then I just snapped out of it. Really like 15 minutes ago. I have my kids to myself all day, in my warm double insulated home, filled with fun diversions and games, and a happy attitude. My life is good and, really this is the last snow day of the season.
     God is just like that. He gives us more of the same uncomfortable life lessons until we get it. He brings it back up until we see that we have GOT to learn this lesson. My lesson was one of gratitude for the weather we have not spoiling it for wanting the weather we do not have. My lesson was also one of reaching out and sharing. Making sure that others were warm was high on my priority list. Last winter I didn't think much about them at all. As in all things, God grew me up. God made me see a better way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment