In a box

Teachers and parents usually do not want to hear a child say "I can't do it." These words are often spoken before a child has even made an attempt, and many times the child later discovers that he or she actually can do it. It can be helpful to know your strengths, weaknesses, talents, and limitations. As adults we might not verbally say "I can't do it," but I think that many times we box ourselves in more than we should. It's so easy to narrowly define what we are capable of doing. For example, I have for many years baked things like cookies and brownies, but I hadn't made a homemade pie since I was a teenager. Although I actually prefer eating a slice of pie over a piece of cake, I found myself assuming I couldn't make pies. When I set my goals for this year, one of them was to try making a few pies. In February I made my first attempt, and my lemon meringue pie turned out quite nicely! In the grand scheme of life it is really unimportant whether I make homemade pies or not, but I think this happens in more important areas of our lives. We feel the Holy Spirit prompting us to some action, and we find ourselves saying "not me" because we don't think we have what it takes to accomplish that particular task. If I don't like to hear my children say "I can't do it," I am sure my Heavenly Father feels the same way when He knows He has given me all that I need for the task.

0 comments:

Post a Comment