Trash Talker



I was taken back a bit when we recently studied the story of David and Goliath.  This story is usually used to encourage the underdog in all of us, the little who can slay the huge giant with God’s help. 
The thing that caught my eye was what a trash talker Goliath was.  He was bold, intimidating and loud.  He defiled Israel and God with his harsh words and arrogant demeanor. Shouting loud the same ridiculous message forty days in a row.  Constant, annoying and offensive to God.
David was offended by him most when he heard that Goliath was speaking out hatred and disrespect of the true living God.  The God of Israel.
I thought of how often I hear the world around me defile God with their words.
Whether bold, intimidating and loud, or a subtle, constant and arrogant the message is still the same.  Trash talkers.
I was then convicted of how defensive and heart- broken I become when someone talks trash about me or my loved ones, and yet so often when the trash talk is aimed at my heavenly Father, I am numb. 
Now I understand that God does not need me to run to his defense, or to uphold his reputation, but If I ask honestly “Lord break my heart for what breaks yours”…Should the daily defilement of Him be the “norm” ?  Or should it break my heart as it does his? 
Lord,  Help us to be aware of what is penetrating our minds, our hearts and our souls. Help us to not be intimidated by the trash talkers of life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment