But for the grace of God.....

   As the news of yet another celebrity death has inundated the Internet I can't help but to feel sad. I was not a fan of Mindy McCready (country music is not my favorite style), and I do not know what was happening in her personal life. However I was surprised at some of the harsh comments thrown out there by Christians regarding her death, substance abuse, being an unfit mother, selfish, rehab failure, mental case, and so on.
   Why are some so quick to judge people (celebrity or not) when they are in a mess or are struggling?  We can point fingers at what we feel are reprehensible sins, but in God's eyes sin is sin. The stench of my bad attitude can rival the smell of the most intoxicated man some days.
    Mental health issues also seem to be frowned upon by many. I have never discussed the following with any human other than my doctor.....  I too struggle with depression. (GASP!) Some would say that a Christian should not be depressed, but there are days that I find myself battling with the physical and emotional symptoms of depression even though I have a relationship with God and know that He has a plan for my life. I have days where I am withdrawn and don't want to be around people, but I still love God. I may feel hopeless, but I still believe that my hope is in Him. I may be fatigued to the point of barely functioning, but I still pray. I may burst into tears over the most trivial thing, but I still worship. Sometimes things just don't make any sense unless you have walked through it yourself.
   In thinking of Mindy and other celebrities who have passed away recently, my question is.... Could the outcome have been different if during their struggles they were met with compassion instead of criticism or with mercy instead of malice??? On my worst days do I want to be reminded of what a failure I appear to be, or do I need someone to put their arms around me and reassure me that this moment will pass???
    The bottom line is this:   We are all human. We all have struggles. We all need grace.  If it wasn't for the grace of  a compassionate and merciful God, where would I be? Lord, please help me to be a vessel filled with Your amazing grace so that even as I walk through my own struggles, the overflow will touch others and point them to You!
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment