Brussels Sprouts?

We know that actions speak louder than words. Although we are not purposefully hypocritical, it is easy to have expectations for others that we do not have for ourselves. As I was reflecting on the expectations I have for my children, it struck me that my husband and I are not the best role models when it comes to eating a wide variety of vegetables. I expect them to eat a little of every vegetable I serve, but I never serve the vegetables that my husband and I don't enjoy. I am not setting a good example for them, and I'm limiting their exposure to healthy foods they might really enjoy. If I am going to require my children to keep trying new foods, I need to plan menus that are not just based on what my husband and I like to eat. I am not ready to start eating my least favorite vegetable, brussels sprouts, but I can start serving  and eating some vegetables that I haven't eaten in many years. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “What you are stands over you the while, and thunders so that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary." I pray that the Holy Spirit will show me if there are other areas of my life where I need to make changes in order to practice what I preach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment