Recess


I am learning the side-stoke! That is a fancy bit of swimming for the uninitiated. It involves curling your legs up to your abdomen then kicking out with your legs in opposite directions then bringing them together all stretched out while you glide forward. This is done while you lie on your side in the water. Your arms gather into each other then separate out for the glide. It's so hard, and I love it.
I'd forgotten the pleasure of a doable challenge, of making your body try something new.  Pushing, turning, flipping over, the goal is so close, but no luck yet. I like it that way. It's something to work on that I know I'll master, so little of life is like that.
Right now I'm facing very difficult challenges, and I'm very invested in their outcome. I have no idea what kind of outcomes there will be, and most of them are completely out of my control. Having permission to completely give myself to a task I can conquer helps me discover inner resources I have forgotten.  Things long hidden are returned to me. 
Learning the side stroke might not do the trick for you, but there is something you used to do, or wish you knew how to do, that could provide respite from the longer challenges of life--a little recess never hurt anyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment