Warrior Support.

     Yesterday was Veteran's Day and as per usual, my mother put a stunning picture of my Pappy (Irish Grandfather) on her facebook. He served in WWII in Iwo Jima. I was reminded of the very safe person Pappy was. He was comfortable and gentle, loving and kind. And yet, TOUGH AS NAILS.
     My mom loves telling certain parts of my birth story and the others are just too painful. But the part about Pappy is everyone's favorite. I was a scheduled Cesarian that went wrong. The pressure of the birth canal was absent and my lungs needed the push to start. I was blue. I wasn't crying because I was focused on breathing. My mother started to fill with anxiety and in the cruelty of the era, she was sedated. I was taken to the baby ward and my writhing form was placed in a pressurized isolette filled with oxygen. My Pappy stood guard. He stood long hours and prayed. He fought by my side against the deficiency in my lungs. My Grandmother would remark that "He prayed you pink." Hands on the sheet of glass separating he did not stop fighting. He did not leave my side until I was oxygenated, calm, and sure to survive. He then found Mom who by this time was awake and told her that God had done the work. His strength was humility.
     On days when I feel beat up, lied about, and crushed by hateful words so that I am barely able to breath, I remember that God put a Warrior on my path to fight for me with love. He loves when I have none left. He gives when I am empty and He heals what I have no power to fix. Jesus stands by my side now hands on my heart speaking love over me. He reminds me I was chosen to exist and that He has an amazing plan. He reminds me that Mom and I could have easily died that day but that He kept us both here. We laugh about my favorite rock and roll quote that is also my favorite piece of existential philosophy, "Think of me what you will. I have a little space to fill." (Tom Petty)
     I do have a space to fill. I do have a job to do. I choose to put in my daily life those who will tell me when I'm wrong in a loving way and those who will applaud what I do right much more loudly. But, in all things I remember humility and love. Pappy laid down an example in those areas I will never forget and choose to live out now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment