He Lobed Me, Bully or Not!

   Our collaboration of churches had a very helpful outing for middles school children this past weekend. The theme was survival. One of the main topics was bullying. No doubt everyone on this planet has had to deal with this subject in a personal way, in one fashion or another.
    A cyber expert came in to explain to us how people bully on the internet. During this presentation they asked everyone to raise their hand that had been bullied in any way. I raised my hand, along with almost every person in the room, apparently. Then they asked if anyone had been a bully, I raised my hand again. Ahhh, only one of, like, maybe two? There was no explanation asked. No opportunity to exonerate oneself. Everyone looked at me as thought I were a parasite that needed to be squashed. In fact, part of me could not agree more.
    I became a bully out of a response to defend myself, in kindergarten. I was a small child O.K.? It did not last very long, thankfully. Then because I felt so horribly bad for my actions, I became a target for bullies. Small wonder, since my dad was a preacher and the "Turn the other cheek," verse was drilled into my head. It was more then that though. The ability to be harmful just to be harmful, was not wired into me, in any way. I love people and living things in general. I will defend those being harmed instinctively. In general, I am kind and loving. I do bill insurance companies for a living, so um, if need be, I can be tough. Perhaps that's why the bully thing had it's place? I am super nice to a fault, unless someone is a reeeeealy difficult person, then, well, lets just say, it sucks to be them. We all have our limits.
    One thing that I learned by being on both sides of the bullying fence was this; it is very lonely. This may seem strange, but if one would befriend a bully, they will probably have their best friend ever, in the long run. Everyone wants a true friend. The other thing I learned was that there is one that sicks closer then a brother, or sister in my case, had two sisters, no brothers. Jesus was there all the time. Holding me when I cried. When I hurt others and sobbed because of it, and when others hurt me and I didn't know why or what I had done. God loves me no matter what and He wired me to be just who I am. Ya know, I totally rock! I don't care what any one thinks but daddy God. So in my best child voice I say "He lobed me no matta what, SO.. HMM!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment