Buffalo Herd

     I love goofball songs from the past. One of my very favorites is a Roger Miller classic, "Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd." The song lists crazy impossible stuff you cannot do. Like, shower in a parakeet cage, change film with a kid on your back, or go fishing in a cabbage farm. The one thing that the song tells you you CAN do is be happy if you've a mind to. "All you have to do is knuckle down, buckle down, do it do it do it" Oh bless you Roger Miller for that. God uses these sort of things to teach me. He reaches down, thonks me on the head and says, "Listen" here is what I've learned.
     In my life I have tried to do the same broken and ridiculous task over and over determined that it will bring me happiness. I've tried to fit in. I've tried to "make" people like me. I've tried to change my personality completely. However all of the above is as smart as trying to roller skate with buffalo.
     I can be nice. I can be nicely dressed. I cannot force something to happen that isn't. This is a mindset that says, "I can't change these things (circumstances, looks, core personality etc...) but I can be happy in this." I recently had a friend say I was flawed but, "You're the sort of person who can find fun in a burning building." That's just life and living it. You can keep trying to do the impossible (not the good kind of impossible, I mean the parakeet shower sort of impossible) or you can just be. Just be happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment