He Called Me "Mom"


He called me "Mom." 


It startled me.
I am his mom, but I am not.

I didn't carry him in my womb or change his diapers.
I married his dad in time to wash the oily black t-shirts of a sixteen year old.

He called me "Mom." 
By his choice.
Does he think of me as "Mom?"
I think of him as a nice young adult - my husband's son.
But, mine, too?

Right now my four little boys are a lot of work.
Good, squirrley, loud, busy boys.  
Gifts from the Giver of All Good Gifts.

This one - the adult - doesn't seem like such work.
He is fun.  Conversational. Pleasant.  Grown up.
More fun than oil t-shirts.  More mature.

He called me "Mom."

I almost didn't hear him.
I have four other voices calling me "Mom" and he almost didn't register in my attention.

"Mom" feels like work, responsibility.
How can I be a mom to an adult son? 

But maybe "Mom" is an invitation.
An acceptance.
A gift.

1 comments:

Martin

March 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Permalink this comment

1

said...

Amazing This really is one of the most beneficial web sites I've ever read on this subject.
Sale On Ultra Club Jackets

Post a Comment