The Bible is Confusing!!

    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, otherwise anyone could boast. That verse just slaps us in the head and says, "If God didn't give you the faith to believe that His Son Jesus is The Christ, you wouldn't believe." So salvation is all about what God does and He chooses who comes to Him, right? Wait, what about the verse in Romans 10:9-10 that says; "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." So, we have to decide and it's all abut us right? No. The Bible is confusing! Yes, yes it is. Does the Bible contradict itself? No, never! So which is it? Each, and both at the same time. What, Ha? Exactly my thoughts.
    All my life I had been taught that you must believe and you make the decision to be saved, it's all about you and your choice. Then I read the Bible, and found the first verse at the top. I became confused. As I was driving home from work one day I frustratingly asked God, "which is it God?" "I see opposite sides of the coin in your word about salvation, what is the deal?" I don't know how to put this so I'm just going to say what happened. I have used it many times to defuse arguments. Because the body of Christ argues about this all the time, pointlessly. You are both correct and both wrong at the same time, no really. Allow me to explain what God Himself did for me and then you may also understand.
    God showed me a silver sphere, like a ball. This ball was then jaggedly cracked into two parts from the inside, as cracked, a light came out of it. One part was larger then the other one. The two halves went away from each other as the light became brighter in the center. Then, the two parts quickly came back together and whirled around in all directions so fast that I could barely see it. It slowed down, then stopped. When it stopped, I could not tell where it was cracked into two parts. It was one perfectly cohesive object as before. I understood, in my finite brain, what this meant.
    The mystery of Salvation is one miraculous thing with two parts. The larger part is what God does, the smaller part is what we do. Without both parts it would not be complete. No one can tell where one begins and the other ends, and the fullness of the mystery, cannot be understood by our minds here on earth. That was enough for me. I got it. The Holy Spirit must do His part by giving us the faith to believe then we are able and desiring to do our part. God gives everyone the opportunity to come to Him. However, the gospel is foolishness to those that are perishing.
    I for one am very thankful that salvation is not entirely up to me. I am not wise enough to choose such a lofty thing, in and of myself. I certainly couldn't do what Christ did on the cross. I did have to count the cost and realize that this wasn't something to enter into lightly as I believed in my heart and confessed Jesus my Lord and Savior. I am so thankful for God's wonderful explanation to me. The Bible is confusing, but God gives understanding. Praise God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment