A Pure vein

I was driving to western MD Wednesday a 2 hour jaunt for me and was listening to the music on Christian radio as I usually do while in the car. I stopped to run and errand and when I retuned to the car a program was on "Haven Today" and I was about to turn off the radio when I heard Charles Morris say "These are the praise songs song by the 1st church" and went on to describe the "Odes of Solomon."


I had never heard of them before, maybe you have, but he went on to say that theologians have known for centuries about the Odes and a few were found over the years. About 100 years ago a collection of them was found. Dr Charlesworth has studied the odes for years and translated them in getting his PhD and has since collaborated with John Schreiner to put the words to music. Dr James Charlesworth related that such a sense of peace and serenity was almost palpable and he wanted the music to support that.


As I began to listen to some snippets that was played of the Odes I had to pull over as I was sobbing so hard. I was struck by the words as it is words that song writers even today are writing and declaring in their praise. I was literally bowled over by the Pure Vein that has survived the test of time...the rote...and ritual...and all the religious trappings. The songs are STILL representing what God and HIS Spirit is saying and prompting to His people.


Examples:
1-Flow through me, pour out your love in me that I could show mercy....Ode 12
2-My heart was pruned and it's flower appeared -Then grace sprang up in it and my heart produced fruit for the Lord.For the most high has circumcised by heart by His Spirit, then he uncovered my inward being towards Him and filled us with His love-Ode 11
But this next one REALLY got me and the comments Dr Charlesworth shared as to the impact it had on him.
3-Behold, the Lord is our mirror. Open your eyes and see them in Him. And learn the manner of your face, then declare praises to His Spirit. Ode 13


Comments by Charlesworth:Our mirror is the Lord-Look at the Lord and see yourself. The light will dismiss all darkness in me. I then take my identity, my true identity, when I am looking into him. Not an identity that is of my emotion of the day or time frame, but I see who I really am in Him being transformed by His glory I then can understand that HE became like us so that We could become like him. Colossians 3:10 -Being renewed (or re-created) to a TRUE knowledge according to the image of the one who created him.


Now my words-I have heard the scripture quoted many times in my walk that we are "transformed by the renewing of our minds" and this is true. But sitting at the side of the road I "REALLY saw it. That until I (we) know for a fact our true identity in Him in our mind it cannot be grasped by our heart to begin to live out our identity as it will still be subject to how I see my self not who I truly AM in him-reflected in His mirror. As we believe the true knowledge of our identity then His Spirit has free rein to work in us, progressively, to narrow the gap of our inequities to His likeness. This is growing up in HIM.


0 comments:

Post a Comment