VBS!

    This past Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday, our combined sister churches had Vacation Bible School, also known as VBS. I didn't originally plan to help. However, they had a picnic dinner before they began, and I ended up staying and helping with the youngest class. Great idea, feed people and maybe you'll get more help. It worked with me any way.
    There were a few children that tugged at my heart strings, they needed a bit of extra help. This didn't bother me because I totally got it, since my Sarah had neurological problems previously in her life. I simply guided them back, held their hand and helped them stay with the group. These kids and I totally geld. The other adults didn't seem to get them, so I took them under my care and all went smoothly. 
    The only part that bothered me about VBS were the snacks. So, the plan is; we are going to give these kids obscene amounts of sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG and artificial dies, then tell them to sit quietly as we tell them a story? Who's bright idea was that? I said nothing, and even helped with the snacks, making waves in the icing laden gram crackers, with the peanut butter chips in between them to symbolize the parting of the red sea. A work of art I tell ya, and I ate some too.
    I am the mom that gave weird healthy snacks for my kid to eat. However, healthy snacks have improved. Towards the end of Sarah's, different then everyone else snack phase, other kids wanted Sarah's snacks instead of theirs. Now she can eat what ever, in moderation, and she knows what to really stay away from, which was my goal.
    I guess I was suppose to be there for two reasons. 1. To help with the kids that had issues. 2. To observe the snacks that were given, so they may be improved next year. I'll gently guide the adults to healthier snacks, instead of slapping hands, so to speak. It worked for the kids. Hey, at least the kids were given bottles of water to drink. Praise God for the little things!

0 comments:

Post a Comment