freak out

My kids soak up my brain. For years, I've packed up and gone to Barnes and Noble to write, because the busy cafe was less distracting than being at home. If they have a hangnail I want to know about it. We battle away like all parents and children, and I love every minute.

Recently, we moved and bought a house with a pool. I think I was the most excited about it, but the kids have been swimming every day. I've been watching from the side, measuring each swimmer's ability and good sense. They developed a rule of the pool that you have to go down the slide. Even Jimmy, our youngest took the plunge. When I finally felt secure enough to swim myself there was no question about going down the slide, what good is a pool rule if you can opt out of it? I eased into the cold water, and as soon as I was completely in the heckling started.
I am a planner. I need to think things through. I didn't plan beyond going down the slide. I sat there trying to plan and the heckling became shouting so off I went. I have three different skills I rely on in water, but my lack of a plan for employing one meant complete panic. The only thing that saved me was a calming thought that there would be be help. Sure enough, Rose snagged me and pulled me over to the side. All those years of taking her to swim class paid off.
As I calmed down I realized that I hadn't really been swimming since my college days. I've been by the pool and at the beach, but stroking my way through water, not so much. I'm always keeping them safe, though I now think it's time for a refresher class. If ever there's another need to panic, I want a much better plan.
I'm thinking I've been doing the same thing spiritually. Every life has its ups and downs, and different times require  different skill sets. There are disciplines I used to participate in every day that I'm taking for granted instead of practicing. I think it's time to reach and grow and seek the Spirit for a refresher class.


0 comments:

Post a Comment