Ticket

The day started out fine but took a turn for the worse. I got my monthly visit, and I am detoxing. Not eating any sugar, dairy or simple carbs. This, as I am told, has made me a bit more cranky lately. I went to the computer repair store and parked on the street in the properly designated area. All I had to do was pull up, then back into the space, since there were two open right together, simple right? After leaving the computer repair place, I got into my van and began to drive to the post office. To my shock and amazement, I saw a bright yellow thing on my windshield, while driving. I was like, I know that isn't a ticket! Ah, yeah, it was. For what?!? Parking too far away from the curb, seriously?!? I WAS LIVID!
   Thankfully, I went to the wrong station. I showed them the ticket and they explained it was a borough and not a state matter. I went back to work, proceeded to slam doors, make horrible faces and tell my coworkers & boss what a horrible thing was perpetrated upon sweet little me. I called my husband, who told me not to go to the station and yell at them, as I wanted to do, but rather ask how far up on the curb they wanted me to park? I am aggressive, when I am mad. Paul is passive aggressive. He helps put things into perspective so I don't make a complete butt of myself. Praise God for Paul.
    I had to wait till later to leave work, by then I had calmed down somewhat. I went into the lobby. Nobody was there. I pushed the button about fifty times over the course of thirty minutes. This did not help my disposition. Finally, a tall dark haired, handsome gentleman, came out and said, "Oh, no body is here? I'm not here either though." I said puzzled, "it looks like you are here to me." He explained that he was off the clock an hour ago. I said, "Oh, well thank you for helping me then." I said, "I got this ticket and wanted to know how far up on the curb I was suppose to park?" He looked puzzled taking the ticket in hand he said, "How far away were you parked? Oh, it says here 25 inches, the state law is 12 but we allow 18 inches." I explained that I had no idea how that could happen because I stepped from my vehicle onto the curb. I wasn't far away enough to step onto the street. He was very nice and professional and explained that if I would like to take the matter up with the officer that assigned the ticket, she would be there on Wednesday. I said "But that would take me past the five day time allowance and I would have to pay $40 instead of $20. He wrote on the ticket and explained that since he was somewhat of a boss around there, I would have more time. The five days was for those they had to track down and I had just received the ticket that day. I was not mean and nasty but my demeanor was stern. I wanted to know what my options were. He again mentioned to come back on Wednesday. I thanked him for his help and said I would do so. Later on, I remembered, as I drove backward, I could have in fact put my back tire out in traffic too far but still have been close enough the curb to step out of my van without realizing the back tire was in violation. I was like, OHHHHH, Opps! I also found out when I went back Wednesday, that I was actually speaking the chief of police. Um wow! I am so glad I wasn't a total raving wench, to him. Also another officer asked if I needed help with the door just before I went back to the computer shop as he saw I had a large computer in my arms. I said, "I think I have it but thank you very much." So once again, God had my back. He didn't let me make a total fool of myself and helped me realize that police aren't mean, they are trying to keep the public safe and our vehicles safe from harm as well. Yes, I was totally wrong. When I went back, I paid the ticket, apologized, and explained how I later realized my error. Unfortunately I was unable to speak to either the chief or the officer but I am fairly certain that the message was relayed as I the lady who took the ticket smiled and said it was O.K.

0 comments:

Post a Comment